KidsTek students at Denver’s North High and Commerce City’s Adams City High welcomed Amanda Hildebrant from College in Colorado on Friday, March 20th. College in Colorado is a free online resource for students and parents to assist in planning, applying and paying for college. Prior to Amanda’s visit, each class researched College in Colorado and prepared a presentation and questions pertaining to their specific college search.
Amanda focused on helping the students with searching for and applying for scholarships. It is the goal of KidsTek to have all students enrolled in our programs continue their education after high school and College in Colorado is just one of our many partners in helping us achieve this goal. Not only does KidsTek provide a laptop to all students who complete and pass our high school classes, but we also offer the possibility a KidsTek Scholarship to all high school seniors in our program.
College in Colorado has links to over 1800 scholarships on its website, ranging from those based on academic achievement to those involved in particular hobbies and clubs. Amanda offered several tips on how to optimize scholarship applications:
1. Apply Now! Even students in middle school can start applying for scholarships.
2. Practice, practice, practice. Create a compelling essay and have family and friends proofread for errors.
3. Do your research. Along with the College in Colorado website, check out specific college websites and see what scholarships they offer.
4. Pay attention to deadlines. Make sure you allow plenty of time to submit all the required paperwork.
5. Follow instructions. Create a checklist with all the scholarship information, such as word limit and references required.
Don’t forget: College Friday is fast approaching on April 17th! Those working with high school students are encouraged to wear their college gear on this day to support higher education in our state.